Wednesday, July 27, 2011

If you are happy and you know it... clap your hands

I was walking home today and for some reason the children's song, If you are happy and you know it, clap your hands, came into my head. Not sure why but it got me thinking. Wouldn't it be great if in our day to day routine, we could clap when we are happy. I wonder how we would do it during the morning commute, as we juggle our decaf, non fat, chocolate sprinkle lattes, all the while trying to send a one handed email. How would our offices sound? Would spontaneous applause break out in meeting rooms or would the silence of the endless cubicles be shattered by the occasional clap. Would we clap in traffic, on the bus or in the metro. Would we clap with our friends or alone? Would the side lines of kids soccer games become an endless sound of hands clapping. Would the hushed silence of places of worship and hospitals and libraries be interrupted.

So if you find yourself feeling happy, do what you would do when you were five years old and clap but try not to do it when you are holding hot liquids...not a happy moment.

1 comment:

  1. I've started a new job, and I'm so happy that I wrote a TO DO item titled, "Weep with uncontrollable happiness." Co-workers, however, don't quite get it when they pass by your office. I think I'll try clapping instead to express glee.

    ReplyDelete